I love teaching workshops because I always come out learning or validating something new. Here are five things re-emphasized to me after teaching LIAT’s Call Centre Development Training in Antigua last week.
- We cannot hold people accountable for things we haven’t told them that we expect (it’s just not fair).
- Teaching customer service makes me a much better customer (‘nuf said).
- Sharing personal stories ALWAYS work to hit home a point (and I have a lot of ‘em).
- Maintain the same environment in the workshop as we coach them to have in their workplace – fostering and unintimidating (teach by example, anyone?).
- Scenarios and role playing is absolutely essential to measure participants’ understanding and desire to implement the skills taught (plus, it’s fun).
And as an added bonus …
COTTON TIP: Ask each participant his/her favorite song in the introduction part of the workshop. Later surprise them by playing the songs through out the breaks. It’s a great way to make each participant feel valued and like you really listened – just as they should to make the customer feel.